9 Healthy Reasons to Eat a Banana
Bananas are the most popular fruit in the United States. The banana is technically a berry. Unlike many other fruits, bananas are easy to peel and eat. Its fans range from toddlers to professional athletes. Aside from its good taste and convenience, the banana promotes good health.
When you buy bananas, be sure to consider the color of the peel, which indicates ripeness. If it is too green, the fruit will be tough and lack flavor. If the peel is brown, you may be afraid the fruit is bad, but actually, dark peel is a good sign. The riper the banana, the higher the level of its TNF, or Tumor Necrosis Factor. TNF is a substance that assists in detecting and eliminating abnormal cell growth, by aiding our immune system response. It directs cells to any part of the body where there is inflammation or infection. Of course, bananas are not a cure for cancer, but TNF does inhibit tumor growth, as well as supporting the immune system.
Here are nine ways bananas help improve your health:
1. Heartburn – This fruit is a natural antacid. Try a banana before you reach for a Tums.
2. Blood Pressure – Bananas are great for cardiovascular health. They are low in sodium, high in potassium, and they taste great.
3. Energy – Bananas are rich in vitamins and minerals to boost energy, and they are an excellent snack before and after workouts. They contain potassium to combat muscle cramps.
4. Anemia – The iron in bananas supports the production of red blood cells to prevent and treat anemia.
5. Ulcers – Bananas are one of the few foods that go down easily for ulcer sufferers.
6 Depression – Bananas are high in tryptophan, the amino acid that our bodies convert into serotonin. Serotonin improves mood and relaxation, as well as helping with sleep.
7. Constipation – Before you take a laxative or fiber supplement, have a banana. They are full of fiber and support regularity.
8. Stress – The B vitamins in bananas calm the nervous system and help you relax.
9. Cool Down – Bananas lower body temperature. Eat one if you have a fever, or in the middle of a summer day. If you really need to cool off, combine them with ice cream in a banana split.